Sunday, March 13, 2011

"Can I Even Have Peanut Butter in Heaven?"

I'd like to write down a few things that happened this week so I don't forget them. I have a few funny stories about Jack. Last Saturday while all the cousins were visiting, Jack decided to call 9-1-1. He learned this number when he had fire prevention week in school. Well, Jack thought he was being funny by calling until a policeman showed up at the door. I made Jack come upstairs to see the policeman to hopefully let the seriousness of the situation sink in. I had to carry him upstairs kicking because he was so afraid. The policeman was very nice but told Jack not to call again unless someone was hurt.

We had the girls evaluated for speech--or should I say lack of speech-- on Tuesday. The speech therapist's name was Laura. While she was playing with the kids, Jack was busy writing his letters. He has come a long way in his writing and I can for the most part tell what he has written. He is constantly asking me how to spell words and he will write notes to people and put them in envelopes that his Mimi has given him to play with. We mailed one this week to cousins. On Tuesday, he proceeded to tell the therapist, "I know how to spell your name. M-O-M." She thought he was a hoot! The girls did qualify for speech therapy, even after correcting for their preemie ages. They tested above their ages in all other areas of development. They understand everything, grunt, babble and will communicate, just not with words. I think once one starts talking on a regular basis, the others will soon follow. They love to follow each other.

On Wednesday, as I was putting Jack in bed, we started talking about Ash Wednesday, Lent and Easter. It is really hard to explain these to a four year-old. He asked me a lot of questions about Jesus' suffering and death and heaven. We have talked to Jack about heaven before. In the course of this discussion, Jack asked me, "Can I even have peanut butter in heaven?" I swear, that little kid comes up with stuff that I never think of, but then again, I don't have a peanut allergy. Since Jack only had peanut butter a few times when he was younger, I never really thought it mattered to him whether he ate soy butter while his playmates all ate peanut butter. I don't think it is the taste he wants, but the idea that he can't have it and others can.

Anna--right after the speech evaluation on Tuesday-- began to say 'baby' on Wednesday. It is pretty cute to hear her little voice. She will go and get her baby doll and hug her, push her in the stroller and feed her a bottle. Also new this week, the girls have entered their climbing stage. This is uncharted territory for us. Jack was never a climber. I don't think he could get on the couch by himself until he was three! The girls, however, climb and stand on chairs, doll strollers and the train table. I turned the table upside-down and put the drawers on top and they climb in the drawers, but can't get out. At least they won't hurt themselves. They also will climb up the stairs the first chance they get. They are getting better at learning how to go up and down stairs, but with three, it is hard for me to let them go at it. This week, they also learned how to move the gate from the bottom of the basement stairs and climb up the stairs! They are always one step ahead of me. I hope they can manage the stairs before too long.

On to Friday. We had the Frazier girls over for the day since they didn't have school. We planned to go to the St. Charles fish fry that night. For some reason, Jack kept calling it 'the fish party'. When the girls left in the afternoon, he is calling out to them from the bathroom window (while on the toilet, I should mention), "See you at the fish party!" It is funny what comes out of his mouth! All four of my kids thoroughly enjoyed the fish. I couldn't believe how much fish the girls ate! After the fish fry, Granddad baby-sit the kids while I went to my old high school regional gymnastics meet and when I called my dad to see how the girls were doing, he told me they were laying around like "beached whales." They did eat a lot of fish!

Jack had his last basket-ball game at the YMCA yesterday. John took him and Granddad went to watch as well. He came home with a medal that he wore the entire day. He was so proud!

The weather is starting to get nicer here. The snow is all gone. We got some fresh air yesterday pushing the girls in the stroller and Carter on his leash. Jack dusted off his bike and we went up the street. Jack loves the "short-cut" (golf cart path) that takes us right to our back yard.



Jack with his medal

We went to a different church today. The priest that married us is the pastor at this church. It was nice to see him since we haven't in a few years. He has never seen the kids. Here are a few pictures of the girls in their cute little dresses and sweaters from Aunt Julie.
Elizabeth and Kate
Anna
The girls love their dolls and doll stroller
Kate
The best I could get of the three of them
Same medal worn again today. Can you see Anna's little arm reaching for her daddy?
He'll always be my baby

While sitting in the cry room today, Jack started asking the kids behind us their ages. He pointed to the baby the father was holding, and the father told him she was seven weeks old. Jack then said, "No, the big guy." I guess he was asking about the father's age, not the baby's :)

No comments:

Post a Comment