Monday, July 6, 2009

Just Past 26 Weeks

Just a check up at the doctor's office today. Everything checked out fine. Baby A's heartbeat was 140, Baby B's heartbeat was 150 and Baby C's heartbeat was in the upper 150s. I measured fine and my blood pressure and weight were good. I have been having braxton hicks contractions that I have noticed a little more this past week, but the doctor said as long as they go away with rest and hydration, they were fine. There were no signs of preterm labor. When I got home, there was a message from the nurse about my blood work done today. I thought I failed the glucose tolerance test! When I called her back, it wasn't that. My glucose was 109 (should be less than 140), but my blood count was low, meaning I am anemic. My hematocrit was 28.6% (normal is around 40%, but in pregnancy this number is lower due to the increased blood volume and low iron stores. Plus with multiples, it is common for the babies to take everything from the mom and the mother becoming anemic.) The nurse said in the third trimester, they like to see this number above 30%, so it is not too low. It can contribute to feeling tired and dizzy which I have been feeling. All this really means is I'll have to take iron supplements twice a day for the rest of the pregnancy.

I go back on the 20th--in two weeks-- for another appointment and ultrasound. At that point, I'll be past the 28 week mark, the second milestone I have been counting. (The first being 24 weeks, which is pretty much the earliest a baby can be born and survive). Between 24 and 28 weeks, the babies have a long run in the NICU and high percentage of developmental delays and disabilities. Between 28 and 32 weeks, that percentage drops and at 32 weeks the babies would spend some time in the NICU, but the risk for delays and disability is pretty low.

I'll also be 6 months on Wednesday the 8th, so I'll try to post some pictures of my rapidly growing belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment