Friday, May 2, 2014

"I saved the game for everyone on my team, Mom."

Jack had a baseball game on Monday and one last night. On Monday, I stayed until the last inning with the girls. Jack batted once, he hit the ball, but was out at first. I decided to take the girls home since I knew he wouldn't bat again that game. When he came home later that night, he came upstairs to find me and told me, "I saved the game for everyone on my team, Mom."

I knew he didn't bat again, so I asked him how he did this. Well, he starts to tell me, he was playing second base. The score for the ball game was tied at 0,0 (some of these games are very slow). In the bottom of the last inning played, the home team's first batter hit a triple. Here are some of his exact words:

"I'm like, I'm going to get that guy out. Whatever I have to do, I'm going to get him out so they don't score."

Next batter pops it up in front of the pitcher. Jack came running from second base to get the ball and gets him out at home.

He just had it in his head he was going to get him out. The final score was 0,0.

I asked John about it and he said it was a great play. Jack came out from second to get the runner. The runner slid too early or would have made it home. He said neither the catcher or pitcher did anything to get the ball. The umpire called him out and John said it was the right call. John said Jack was pumping his fist on the way back to second. The other team's coach gave him a high five! A few of the kids on Jack's team missed the whole thing (that would have been Jack last year, not paying attention) and questioned why they didn't score. Jack had to tell them he got him out at home.


Fast forward to last night's game:
I'm sitting watching the game and I hear the guy behind me talking about Jack's play on Monday. He had no idea it was Jack (who was batting right at that second) or that I was his mother. He was telling the guy next to him about the kid who got him out, having no idea where he came from then running back to second base. I turned around and told him it was Jack who was batting (and just hit a double). Proud Mama moment.

Jack had a great game. He hit twice. One double and one triple. His triple in the top of the last inning was actually an RBI which put their team up by one. However, in bottom half, they score two runs so we lost the game.

The other thing that happened this game was Jack played catcher. The usual catcher got hurt and the coach asked us if he could play Jack. He suited up and did a good job. He is a little afraid of the ball and turns away from the ball so he needs some practice. The ball grazed his arm in the first inning as catcher. In the second inning, it hit his leg. He got up, walked it out and didn't leave the game, which I was proud of him. When the coach asked if he wanted to leave, he turned around and squatted down. He got a round of applause from the parents and one guy called out "MVP."  So, I know it sounds like a lot of talk about how great he is, but we think he is (and I can say that as his mom). I will add that his team is just not that good. I mean they are really not good. I think Jack and one other kid has hit the ball this season. Jack has come a long way from last summer coaches pitch in Avon Lake. He was one of two players that had to have the Tee pulled out (twice for him) because he couldn't hit the ball from an underhand pitch.  After ten pitches, they would pull the Tee out. I was a little embarrassed!


I got a text from the coach after the game thanking us for letting Jack catch and "get us out of a bind." Jack said he liked catching, so coach thought he would rotate Jack and two other boys into catcher.  He suggested we get him a cup before tomorrow's game. Here is a funny story about that! When I told Jack he needed to wear his cup, he decided he didn't want to play catcher anymore. He was not happy about it. I decided to leave that conservation to John and Jack and dropped it before school. On the way to school this morning, Jack asked me if he wears the cup on the inside or outside of his uniform, because "if it is on the outside, I'm not wearing it!"

Problem solved.

I tried not to chuckle. I guess he thought about all the other equipment that is strapped to the outside of the uniform while playing catcher and thought that was one more thing to add on. Funny boy. His PeePaw thought the same thing at his age, so I have been told. First time wearing one, he wore it on the outside of his uniform...

 Jack playing catcher
 John told him to squat, rather than sit on one knee
 Girls have been good this year watching his games. Well, they don't watch, but play with dolls, cars, chalk or barbies. And eat popcorn! I think Anna looks so tall in this picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment