Thursday, December 15, 2011

Avon Lake Library and Other Activities

I finally feel like I am organized enough to get the kids out of the house. The girls and I have been getting used to Avon Lake while Jack has been in school. The library is very good. We have been there twice. In the children's section, there is a room that is for the most part enclosed. The girls play with puzzles, the puppet theatre, rocking chairs, books, dolls, cradles and other toys. They really like the freedom and I enjoy getting them out of the house. Today, we saw twin boys there! They showed us another area of the library called Discovery Works that is just for kids under four. It was like a mini children's museum! It had trains, mirrors, garden area with tools, desks with activities, a floor piano that the girls jumped on, a reading area with books, couches and chairs that were all small-sized, and there were probably 10 tables with different things to play with including Lego's, cars, magnets, musical instruments, etc. What a great way to spend the morning. The best part about it was we checked out a few movies and books on CD for Jack, too. All this plus the library offers story time which we plan to attend once they start up them again at the end of January. Whoever designed this library probably had multiples themselves! I have a feeling we will be spending a lot of time at the library this winter.

Right next to the toddler section of Discovery Works, there was another huge area for kids ages 5-8. I will have to take Jack there. I saw frogs, telephones, and other science-type stuff.

We also tried out a class called Squeaky Sneakers through the park district for kids under 5. Basically, it is an large gym-type room (with the doors shut) for the kids to run around. There were balls, tunnels, pop-up tents, music (Elizabeth didn't stop dancing the entire time we were there), foam, hula hoops, etc. It is not really a class, just show up, pay $2 and let the kids play from 9:30 to noon any Monday or Friday. We will definitely be there this winter to burn off some energy. The girls slept three hours on Monday after this class.

Aside from those outings, I have kept the girls busy inside. I introduced them to crayons. Yes, I decided it was time to let go of my OCD and let them color even though it makes a HUGE mess and I end up with crayon somewhere other than the paper. They also are taking real baths in the tub. They are over age two and finally graduated from sink baths. Since moving here, I have only given them baths in the tub and managed OK. It was never the tub baths that was hard for me to do alone, but it was when it was time to get out of the tub that it became a nightmare. So, I always bathed them one at a time in the kitchen sink so I could keep an eye on the other two at the same time. They absolutely love the tub and never want to get out! A lot of the time, I have to drain the water to get them out. Jack will sometimes join them in the tub. Baths take up a good chunk of time, too. We have also gotten outside a few times for walks in the evening right before dinner. As long as the weather cooperates, I try to get the kids out for a little fresh air, especially if we didn't do any outside activity earlier in the day. Yesterday, we met the neighbors that are moving into the house we almost bought across the street. Jack will be ready for some playmates, they have an 8 year-old, 6 year-old and 5 year-old (2nd, 1st, and Kdg). The kindergartner is not in Jack's class, but they will be buddies, I am sure.

Jack has been enjoying books on CD from the library. He also likes to listen to music CDs since Grandmom brought him a CD player this past weekend. We have been coloring in the afternoons, doing some reading, and some worksheets when the girls are napping. He sometimes will watch a movie.

Today the weather was very mild and when we got home from the library. I realized Jack's bus was coming in about 20 minutes. So, I let the girls play on the driveway and backyard while we waited. Brave! I always want to shrink away from these situations, saying they are too small, they don't listen, etc. But, sometime I have to let them learn. Today, I let them be normal toddlers. They ran and fell in the wet grass, kicked balls, pushed each other on the swing and stayed away from the street. The best part: we watched Jack's face light up when he got off the bus and the four of us were standing there waiting for him. I like to celebrate my little successes. I am hoping that by next spring, the girls will be mature enough to play outside and I can manage them by myself.

Crayons


Evening walk




Bath time

Library



Triplets and twins--the boys are 16 months

No comments:

Post a Comment