Thursday, August 20, 2009

33 Weeks!

I am 33 weeks today. It is a huge sigh of relief (if I could take a deep breath) to have made it this far. There is a good chance when I deliver these girls they won't have to spend much time in the NICU. Especially if it's another week or two from now.

I went to the doctor yesterday for a check-up. My diastolic blood pressure was up again and I have swelled up again, mostly my legs. Since there is a high risk for preeclampsia with multiple pregnancies, the doctor ordered blood work and a 24 hour urine test for protein. I am dilated to 2cm still and almost completely effaced. I measured 42cm which is similar to a pregnant woman at term (40 weeks) plus two weeks!

Unless there are any major changes, I will return to the office on Monday to recheck my blood pressure and for a biophysical profile on the babies. A BPP measures the babies heart rates, breathing, fluid levels, and muscle tone by ultrasound. This is combined with a nonstress test which measures the babies movement. A normal score is 8 to 10 points (2 points for each area of the test). I had one of these tests when I was pregnant with Jack at 35 weeks (he was normal, of course). The doctor ordered one of these each week from here on out. I don't expect there will be any major issues since I have had so many ultrasounds this pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment