Sunday, March 18, 2012

Map Man and Tom Sawyer

Jack loves maps. I print him a different map a few times a week. Always a new place. He has one of the Yangtze River in China, United States, Peter Pan's Neverland, London, California, Mexico, Washington D.C., Michigan and Avon Lake, of course. These pages are all clipped together and carried around daily. We have discussions about each of these places (often I have to google them--Yangtze River?--to answer his questions). China became a hot topic lately because of a book we read about a duck named Ping who lived on the Yangtze River. We ate at P.F. Chang's yesterday and he was very interested in the chop sticks, Chinese people and Chinese food. He is constantly asking me what time it is in China.

Jack has never been a TV watcher, much to my dismay--as horrible as that sounds--when the girls were born. There were many days I wished I could plop him in front of the TV for an episode of whatever so I could have a break, or to keep him entertained when I needed to take care of the girls. But he never was interested in anything. I think he has seen two movies in the theatre, mainly because he doesn't like them and hates to sit for that length of time. His Papa took him to see Cars 2 before we moved and I think they left early--right around the time his popcorn ran out and I think he has been one other time. Within the last month or so, we have been pushing the Disney theme around here. I began to read books--The Lion King, Peter Pan, Cinderella, 101 Dalmatians, etc. Then we watched the movies. He became attached to Peter Pan and I find myself picking up hangers around my house every day (he pretends he is Capt. Hook). We stumbled across a newer TV series on Disney Jr., Jake and the Neverland Pirates which is a spin off of Peter Pan. He has become totally attached to the shows that I DVR'd and I also bought him last season on DVD. He makes pirate hats out of paper every day and spyglasses (rolled up paper, taped). These I find around the house, too, along with the hangers. His latest map request: a treasure map of Neverland. I have had a hard time finding that one. He asked us today if the "fountain of forever" is located in Disney World. At first I didn't get the question, but then he explained to me that is where there is an endless supply of pixie dust and he is hoping to get some so he can fly...

Having said all that about Disney, we are disapointed that as it stands now, John will not be able to go with us on our vacation. Sadly, his case did not settle and he will be in arbitration the week we had planned to go. The kids and I will be going with Mimi, Aunt Mary and Aunt Cindy and Aunt Susie. We have tried to prep the girls too, even at their ages. I bought the DVD, Sing Along Classics It's a Small World. The characters all sing as they walk through the Magic Kingdom. The girls love to sing along, dance and point out the characters, Mary Poppins, in particular, despite never seeing that movie. And of course, "Mickey's House" is what they call Mickey Mouse and it is so darn cute, I can't correct them so I call him "Mickey's House" too.

John recently bought Tom Sawyer at the bookstore and has been reading it to Jack. When I say Tom Sawyer, that is what I mean, the actual book. Not some kid version which I was pushing for when he bought the book originally. Jack is extremely into this. I asked John the other day if he enjoys the story, or just likes the experience of John reading it to him and he thinks the latter. But, honestly, does that make a difference? I love that he cherishes his time with his dad, even if the book is too far over-his-head enough to understand. And if he is understanding it, than all the better. This has become their thing and Jack only let me read from the book one night, just a paragraph until Dad got home.

He becomes a "full day-er" tomorrow and is very excited. This last quarter will fly by and summer will be here before we know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment