Saturday, May 12, 2012

Garden and Running

John came back from Las Vegas this morning and because he was up all night (from the red eye, not from gambling), he got a few hours of sleep while the kids and I played outside. I worked on hand-tilling my garden area that my dad so nicely moved all my lilies from a few weeks ago. The kids pretty much played outside all day because once John got up, we did more yard work. John mowed the grass and I spread my dirt in my garden and planted flowers and vegetables.

In the afternoon, Jack and I went for a short run. It was only around the block, 0.65, miles and he set the pace at about a 12:30 minutes per mile pace. We signed him up to run in a race next weekend at eh Cleveland Browns Stadium and he is excited. I love that he (and the girls for that matter), knows that I go for runs and Jack asks to join me frequently. I like to think I am instilling some good exercise habits to my children. The girls see me in my running clothes and they immediately say, "Oh, mama go running." The other day, I dressed them for the day in black capri leggings and they thought they were going running too! "running!" they told me, feeling their pants.

Jack and I left after dinner to pick out flowers for my pots and also to get the vegetables and herbs for our garden. He was so excited to help me figure out which vegetables to plant! We picked Roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, better boy tomatoes and yellow tomatoes. We got two bell peppers (even though I don't have much luck with these each year), pickling cucumbers and I bought one green bean plant and one yellow bean plant. We also planted two rows of green and yellow beans from seed which I do every year and seem to have success with them. I like to do one or two "fun" things, so this year Jack picked out a peanut plant! What a fun thing to try to grow. He also wanted a pumpkin plant and I reluctantly let him even though the squash plants take up so much space. We planted it in a different area so it doesn't kill the other plants. He wanted the baby pumpkin plant, so that is what we got. Of course, I got my herbs, too. Except, I had to go to five different stores/greenhouses to find dill! But, I need my dill to make my pickles!

John took these pictures from the porch, I actually have a lot more space that isn't seen.



No comments:

Post a Comment