Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Last Day Before Preschool

Dear Anna, Elizabeth and Kate,

I can't believe you will start preschool tomorrow.

These past three years have flown by and you have all grown up so fast. I still remember bringing you each home from the hospital, one at a time, to meet your big brother. I have thought about this day for a long time and I will admit, in those very busy first few years it was something that I looked forward to--a break from you three. You have to understand I love you all so much, but you have a way of making me crazy sometimes. I think it is the combination of the three of you, but you seem to be able to climb to the highest places, empty out bins of toys, and sometimes you fall and cry...and when you do, it seems like there is always someone there to help you out--with a lovie, a toy or even a hug. Last Saturday, you got into the pantry and opened a box of Brownie mix and emptied it all over the house...in a matter of a few minutes while your dad and I were trying to set up Jack's bed! Oh, those are the times I have to remind myself how "blessed" and "lucky" we are. But we are beyond words.

Mid-August, it hit me. We had a few colder days, and I got out your winter clothes and you just seemed so big all the sudden. All the "baby" things, like diapers, cribs, pacifiers---all that was so familiar last year at this time! School was in the air as I packed your back packs with your supplies, went to meet your teachers and talked often about preschool to you three. "Mama always be back." you like to tell me. Suddenly, I don't think it will be "screeching out the parking lot" like my mother-in-law used to joke since the day you were born that I would be doing on your first day of preschool. Until this past month, I did think that would be me. Today, I have been sad thinking about letting you all go at once, but I can't really keep one of you back, can I? I just wish it didn't go by that fast.

I know you will do fine tomorrow. I know you will miss me a little, but you will have each other to lean on like you do at home if someone has a tough transition. I hope you love school and learn so much! And at the end of your two hours and fifteen minutes, I will be there to pick you up and hug you.

Love,
Mama







No comments:

Post a Comment