Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Getting Ready for Kindergarten (and Second Grade)

I saw a lady pushing a baby in a stroller tonight on the way home from getting frozen yogurt with John and the kids. It hit me. The tears came. I am not sure how I will be tomorrow, but I am hoping to hold it together so the girls are not sad. I can't believe they will start kindergarten tomorrow. How did that happen so fast? My babies didn't stop growing up. It is still hard for me to believe that five years have passed by.

So quickly.

I enjoyed my time home with them. It seems like yesterday, I was struggling to keep them fed, dry, clean and happy all the while entertaining Jack who also demanded a lot of attention. I am thankful John has worked so hard for all of us to enjoy these years at home. I am so proud of them. And, I am so proud to be their mother.

They are excited. For now. I hope it lasts. I hope the long days and weeks won't tire them out. I hope they share and listen and are kind to their friends. I hope we taught them correctly. I hope we taught them enough.

Jack is not excited. He keeps asking me why he has to go to school I think once he gets back into the swing of things he will be fine. He is just used to sleeping in the mornings and running back forth between neighbors and swimming. He had a great summer.

These last few days, I have tired to do fun things with the kids in preparation of school starting. Soak up the last few days of summer break. I wanted to make great memories with them. After church on Sunday, we had some friends over to swim and play baseball. On Monday, we went to a park that had a stream the kids waded in. A few of the kids there caught crawdads while the girls watched. Jack enjoyed seeing the fish. On Tuesday, we went bowling with friends. The girls have never been. They all had a blast! Today, we packed lunches (for tomorrow) first thing in the morning, got their clothes out and book bags packed and spent the afternoon swimming. John sent me a message around 3 pm this afternoon asking if we were home. Then he said he was thinking of coming home. My response was, "Are you sick." The last time he came home at 3 pm, he was sick! That was 14 years ago when we were first married. He had a bad wisdom tooth that he had to get pulled after lunch on day at work. He was asleep on the couch when I got home from work. Well, I got a phone call from his boss who told me John will be coming home to see the kids before school starts tomorrow. So he did. He played catch with Jack, and we all swam for a bit before taking the kids to their favorite frozen yogurt bar.

And then, it was time for them to go bed. We are ready. Kindergarten, here we come! Second grade, here comes Jack!


Church

 
 Playing with Amy on Sunday


 











 


 I had kindergarten orientation on Monday night and they sent us home with bears for each of the kids to complete. Unlike Jack, the girls love to craft. First thing Tuesday morning, we decorated the bears. I love how different they are.



 
 Anna


 Kate


 Elizabeth

 Jack




 
 Results of game one: Mom: 86, Anna: 85, Jack: 76, Elizabeth: 74 and Kate: 63

 I love this one of Kate



Results of game two: Jack: 85, Kate: 81, Elizabeth: 69 and Anna: 62

After the kids helped me finish their lunches, I made these and stuck them inside their lunch boxes for tomorrow. I hope they put a smile on their face.

No comments:

Post a Comment