Tuesday, August 16, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten

Jack had his first day of kindergarten today! He was so excited to go "all day" and take his lunch. I got him up early so I could walk him in the first day and I wish I had a sitter for the girls...but they had to tag along with us--oh well. The Frazier girls were at the office running out to meet us when we got there. He loved to see them and his Aunt Sue Sue. We walked down to his classroom and he met his teacher, Mrs. Herrold. There are 21 students in his class, including a few from his preschool last year and his little friend, Jake. He was a little nervous when I was getting ready to leave, and asked when his Aunt Sue Sue would check on him. I think that made him feel better. I got a call from Susie around 11:00 and she said she just saw Jack in the lunch room, he was doing fine, she helped him open his yogurt and juice box. He told her that "my mom packed a lot of food, but I am going to save the pretzels for snack." I did pack a large lunch because I wasn't sure what he would eat and I didn't want him to be hungry.

When I picked him up from school he was smiling! He told me he liked it and his teacher was nice and he was excited to go back tomorrow. He had three recesses! He also told me he had to line up a lot! He ate most of his lunch and the rest of it he ate on the way to the pediatrician's office. He had to get a few shots today---DTaP, IPV, MMR and Varivax. I was hoping this would go smoothly, since his shot last December did not produce any tears, but the nurse made him lie down on the table and I had to hold him down for the first shot, so it didn't start out that well. Anyway, we got the shots done--thank-goodness. Sarah and Claire went with us to the doctor's office to help watch the girls. Claire told me that she saw Jack at recess and gave him a hug--what a sweet girl. Jack also saw Amy in the lunchroom. After the doctor's appointment, we all got ice cream to celebrate the first day of school and Jack's shots. Jack got a banana milkshake. After dropping the Fraziers at home, Amy came back to our house to play for an hour or so. Jack was tired tonight!

The other issue to address is how the day went for me...It hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday afternoon when I was buying his uniform shorts and shirts...he would be gone all day from 8am to 3pm...my baby boy. Sad how fast they grow up and then their time with you at home is gone. We have entered into a new phase and I have to get used to it. The house was QUIET this afternoon while the girls napped. But, his excitement and his face coming out of school today makes me feel better. He also made us a hand-print with a little poem telling us he is thinking about us while we are thinking about him. Oh, how I wish time would slow down just a tad.




Interesting that John and I went to this school at his age




Mrs. Herrold showing Jack what to do when he comes in the door in the morning


Jack with his Kindergarten teacher--Mrs. Herrold




Ready to color!

No comments:

Post a Comment