Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Garden

This is the second year I have tackled the project of a garden. If someone would have told me ten years ago that I would have a green thumb today, I would not have believed them. But, I have found a that I take great pride in growing vegetables. I consider last year a learning year. I only yielded a few zucchini, cucumbers and one tomato. I did have a nice crop of green and yellow wax beans that provided fresh beans all summer. The girls had many jars of baby food from these beans too. Last year, I planted pretty much everything from seed. This year, I bought most plants and only did the green and yellow wax beans and sugar snap peas from seed. I sent a picture of my garden tonight from my phone to one of my friends who sparked my interested in gardening. After I sent the picture, I looked back at the text and saw another text that I sent her last month of my garden the day I planted everything. I didn't realize how much everything has grown! I was feeling like I cheated this year since I didn't grow everything from seed, but when I saw the difference in the pictures, I think my garden is a success--well, definitely much improved from last year.

Here is what I planted (from the top of the picture towards the bottom):
First row: yellow wax beans
Second row: green wax beans
Third row: sugar snap peas
Fourth row: Watermelon plant, two plants of sweet corn, one of Indian corn, green bell peppers, Roma tomato plant, beefsteak tomato
Fifth row: Cherry tomato, four types of green/yellow/red peppers, another type of green pepper plant, and my three herbs, dill, parsley and basil
Sixth row: Strawberry plant (Jack picked two red strawberries today and ate them), four pickling cucumber plants (two separate types)



My garden last month. The watermelon and strawberry are towards the back, the cucumbers plants are along the left side and my tomato plants are near the front. I planted the beans and peas from seed so there is nothing in the back. I had not planted my pepper plants or corn yet.

Today

My three corn stalks are most impressive to me, only because I thought these were dead for a while. I hope I get a few ears of corn!

Jack helps me water and loves to look at the vegetables grow which I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment